People often have a love hate relationship with tequila. As one of the stronger tastes in regards to other liquors like vodka or rum, a love for tequila often means the one consuming it has a strong palate or spent a lot of time in the Sonoran Desert. While not everyone loves to drink tequila straight, as a shot or in a good old margarita, the classic Tequila Sunrise cocktail, an enticing mixture of tequila, grenadine and orange juice is generally a crowd pleaser. Why? The sweetness of the grenadine cuts the “bite” of the tequila.
Inspired by a signature drink tasting we were providing for a client, our bartending team decided to present a fun twist on the traditional Tequila Sunrise. Our creation did not disappoint. We affectionately named it the “Spiced Sueño” (translated as the Spiced Dream).
- Tequila (we used Jose Cuervo Gold, but you can use any tequila you prefer)
- Fresh-Squeezed Orange Juice
- Clove-Infused Bitters
- Fresh Bluberries
While it may sound like an odd combination of ingredients, don’t knock it until you try it.
Here are the steps to creating this delicious craft cocktail:
- Fill a glass with ice, and pour 1.5 oz of your favorite tequila over the ice.
- Next, add approximately 5 oz. fresh-squeezed orange juice (we used pulp-free but it is up to you which type of juice you prefer).
- Now, add a dash of grenadine (we recommend a small splash of grenadine to start. You can always add more if it is not sweet enough after you taste test it).
- Top with 4 drops of clove-infused bitters.
Without mixing the drink, it will naturally layer, with the grenadine sinking to the bottom of the glass. However, you will want to pour the drink into a martini shaker, and shake vigorously a few times to ensure the cocktail is cold and mixed thoroughly. Next, pour the cocktail back into the serving glass. Garnish with fresh blueberries. Take a sip. If you want more sweetness, add a little bit of grenadine and shake the cocktail again, to mix thoroughly.
This grown up version of a Tequila Sunrise combines ingredients that compliment the taste of tequila, without being overly sweet. The clove-infused bitters, mellow the “bite” of the tequila and leave a lingering taste that is flavorful but not overpowering. Enjoy! Please let us know if you liked this cocktail in the comments below.
Learn more about our services or email us for information on signature drink creation and bartending services.